A Few New Additions

I realize it has been a over a month since posting, but let's just say hurricane season has been keeping me busy. Over the last several weeks, while not worrying about storms, I have managed to find some charming additions for the bedrooms, so I thought I would share them. When my mother was visiting back in early August, we did a little shopping (always one of our favorite activities together). While we greatly enjoyed browsing the diverse variety of items at my favorite consignment/antique places, Renaissance Interiors and Heirloom Furnishings, we found the perfect piece for the guest bedroom at the Disco Warehouse down on Tchoupitoulas Street. This glass front cabinet is perfect for storing extra linens and towels. It's no secret what is inside, so guests can help themselves if they need anything. I like that the cabinet is not quite as massive in scale as a full armoire, so it doesn't overpower the room, and the pale green color is neutral enough to work with the existing pieces.

(Please excuse the stack of yet to be hung photos and art.)

My house definitely suffers from a shortage of lamps. The new lamps I kept seeing in stores felt enormous, not to mention expensive. When did lamps get so big?! On Craigslist, I found a posting from an older couple parting with a pair of milk glass lamps as they worked to downsize their house.  These hurricane-style lamps are petite enough for the small bedside tables in the guest room, and I think they work pretty well with the antique-style bed frame. 


I'll admit that I've developed a little bit of an addiction to Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace since moving into the new house. Given the house's age, it just doesn't feel right to fill it with all brand new pieces, but I'm definitely ready to replace some of my hand-me-down furniture. It takes some leg work, but these platforms make it easy to add some vintage or antique items at bargain prices while also giving items with which I've grown bored a new life. While posting a few household items for sale, I came across a beautiful four poster bed listed for a steal of a price. I immediately sent a message and asked if I could come take a look. About an hour later, I was on my way to Lacombe on the other side of Lake Pontchartrain to purchase just the kind of bed I have dreamed about since I was little (but never before had the room nor ceiling height to make a reality).   


This is a solid mahogany pencil post bed marked "Virginia Galleries" so it's made by Henkel Harris, a furniture maker still in existence in Winchester, VA. The previous owner estimated it to be between 40-50 years old, but regardless of age, it is a classic style with clean lines. The side bed rails have some damage that is easily covered up by linens, and it needed a little TLC to take off excess wax buildup in a few places, but overall the bed is in good condition and the price was very, very right. 
I paid $40.


With my 12-inch mattress, the bed is comically high, but I love it. To add extra stability for my heavy mattress, I did order a metal center support system to replace the wooden slats - something I likely would have had to do with any bed. (This is the one I chose, in case you are curious. It seems nice and sturdy so far.) I also ordered an extra long bed skirt so that I can store items under the bed. With only one closet in the house, that is valuable storage space!

So that's the latest on the house. I've been working on my landscaping plan for the Front Yard Initiative, and I should have more to share about that process soon. I'm also looking forward to slightly cooler days when I can start working on outdoor projects without completely wilting in the heat and humidity. Here's hoping fall is on the way!

Comments

Popular Posts