Preparing for Guests

Recently, a friend asked me if I was feeling at home in my new space yet. I honestly felt at home after the very first weekend. Still, it's hard to believe that a month and a half went by so quickly. I'm days away from my first house guest, my mother visiting from North Carolina. I've been busy with various house projects - big and small - over the last few weeks, but I wanted to make sure I pulled together the basics for the guest room so she will have a comfortable place to stay. I also needed to do it on a tight budget. Thank goodness for Amazon Prime Day and all the related "Black Friday in July" sales!

My first furniture purchase was a vintage-looking metal bed. These are really popular at the moment and available in every price point, and I think the style is timeless and versatile. I went with an affordable platform version that eliminates the need for a foundation/box spring. It's a muted bronze finish that should go with just about everything, and it was easy to put together even with a curious feline helper.


For the mattress, I took a gamble and ordered my first bed-in-a-box through Amazon on Prime Day. Online mattress companies seem to have exploded in the last several years. If you aren't aware of this, browse to just one of their websites, and suddenly your social media feeds will be taken over by advertisements for every start-up mattress company out there - you've been warned. The hard part is weeding through the options, knowing what reviews are trustworthy, and finding the right fit within your budget. This bed will likely be used only a handful of times a year, so while I want it to be comfortable, I also wasn't going to spend half a mortgage payment on it. I decided to go with a latex hybrid mattress in part because I found a great deal, but also because it seemed like a safe combo of springs and foam that should please most sleepers. It was a workout to get it through the house and wrestled into place on the frame. Once it had time to air out and expand, Chicory gave it the first inspection, and it met his enthusiastic approval. I also gave it a test drive last weekend, and I slept quite well once I kicked the cat out of the room... 


I also stocked up on bedding basics during the sales of mid-July: an allergy blocking mattress encasement, a lightweight down-alternative duvet, pillows and protectors. For the linens, I played up the vintage feel of the headboard with an Ikea blue and white striped duvet cover reminiscent of ticking. The closest Ikea is in Houston, but I discovered you can order smaller items, like linens, from the website. (I know, I'm probably late to the party on that.) Even with shipping costs, this was a bargain for a 100% cotton duvet. I layered that over a quilt from Stein Mart that perfectly matches the off-white stripes. They have a wide selection of solid colored, machine washable quilts at very affordable prices, so I won't stress out about little paws, spills, my ever-changing taste, etc.    


Beyond the bed, every guest room needs a few things to ensure visitors can feel at home. My current bedside table is tiny, but it has the essential reading lamp, space for a glass of water, a clock/radio with a USB port, and a box of tissues. Tucked in the drawer is an extra charging cord and the instructions for the clock/radio just in case someone wants to use the alarm or the bluetooth. I know most people use their phone for the alarm these days, but I hate it when there isn't a clock in a bedroom, and this one has the added benefit of ensuring nobody has to go searching for an outlet to charge up devices.


 I haven't had a chance to properly furnish the rest of the room yet, but I did pick up a luggage rack. I always use these at hotels, and my Mom has had one of these in her extra bedroom for years. They are so handy! Who wants to have to get down on the floor to find things in the suitcase? Nobody.


I've also set out a small basket with a few extra toiletries, a candle, and a sticky roller for the inevitable pet hair that might find its way onto a guest's clothing.


In the future, I hope to be able to provide a space for hanging clothes or jackets since there is no closet in the bedroom. I'd also like to add some storage for extra linens, and maybe a comfy chair. For now, I've got the basics covered. Chicory and I are ready to welcome Mom for a weekend of warming up the house, design planning, shopping, and eating!

(He coordinates well, doesn't he?)

SOURCES:
Bed: Andover Mills Matheney Platform Bed in bronze - Wayfair
Mattress: Lucid 10" Latex Hybrid - Amazon
Duvet cover: NYPONROS duvet and shams in blue and white - Ikea 
Quilt: Anderson Geo Paisley Quilt in bright white- Stein Mart
Luggage Rack: Bed, Bath, and Beyond
(It probably goes without saying, but I don't have any business relationship with these stores. Just listing and linking in case you are interested in something I mentioned.)

Comments

Popular Posts