Troubleshooting: Clawfoot Tubs



I've never been one of those people enamored with clawfoot tubs. Now I own two of them. Sure, they are nice to look at, but everyday life calls for more quick showers than long soaks, and showering in a clawfoot tub is requiring some trial and error and adaptation - along with a lot of trips to Lowe's. Not wanting to take on a major bath remodel at the moment, I've had to figure out quick and budget-friendly solutions to some of the more "charming" features of my new old bathtubs.

 First up: I'm 5'7", which is only slightly taller than average for a woman, and yet...  

The riser on this shower kit was clearly designed for petite people. I don't know about you, but I prefer to shower without back bends or squats as part of the routine. I had a handheld shower fixture from the old apartment that would add a few inches in height to the shower head. That seemed like an easy fix (or so I thought). Turns out the riser connection was 3/8", not the standard 1/2" size needed for almost every shower head on the market. After scouring the entire plumbing fittings aisle with my friendly Lowe's associate, we found the correctly sized adapter to convert a 3/8" male fitting to a 1/2" male fitting. (See the little brass ring below?) A little plumbers tape, a wrench, and I was ready for showers while standing tall.  


Next challenge: keeping the floor dry. I had done a little research on the internet to try to figure out how to handle shower curtains for a clawfoot tub. Since the curtain goes all the way around the tub, you need a custom (read: expensive) curtain, or a combination of several curtains. Shower curtains never last very long in our humid climate, so I didn't want to invest in something custom or fancy. I ordered the widest fabric curtain liner I could find (108") and a matching standard curtain (72"), along with a 30 pack of shower curtain rings. Both liners were the standard 72" length, which turned out to be way too long for my shower surround. Using them inside the tub created significant bunching and a trip hazard. Hanging outside the tub, I still had some puddling of water on the floor. Cutting them would mean I had to sew a hem or risk them fraying apart. Apparently, short shower curtains are just not a thing that exist out there, so I resorted to buying some cheap vinyl liners that I didn't feel bad about cutting off at the correct length to hang inside the tub. I bought a few basic magnets to help pin the liner in place when showering. The long fabric ones are still up on the outside for now, though I would hardly qualify them as a decorative curtain. 

 Now cocooned in the shower by layers of fabric and vinyl, I faced the next hurdle: where do I put my bottles and bars? Since it's "Back to College" time, I found a handy shower liner with pockets at the Bed, Bath and Beyond. Since I had to buy extra liners anyway, this would quickly solve the storage problem until a more permanent solution could be found. 

 Browsing the internet for affordable shower caddy options that would work in a clawfoot tub, I came across a great DIY solution on a blog called The White Apartment. (That blog has some great ideas for dealing with clawfoot tub showers. I'm not alone in my troubleshooting mission!) The author, Allie, recommends attaching a small shower basket to the riser pipe with hose clamps. Genius! I found a similar basket on clearance at TJ Maxx/Marshall's, and I headed back to the plumbing fittings aisle at Lowe's for the clamps. I'm definitely going to use this solution in both bathrooms as it is inexpensive, secure, and easy.


Last, but not least: getting in and out of the tub. Clawfoot tubs are definitely higher than your average built-in shower/tub combo! While I can climb in and out without too much trouble, I'm looking ahead to visits from friends and family who might find it a bit more challenging. My search for a suitable step kept leading me to unsightly medical products, exorbitantly expensive "spa steps" or garish plastic options designed primarily for small children to reach the sink. None were exactly something I wanted to add to my bathroom decor. Thankfully, I stumbled upon a reasonably priced, simple metal utility stool (again at TJ Maxx/Marshall's) that should work for easier ins and outs. I plan to add some clear bathtub treads to the top to ensure wet feet won't slip off. I actually picked up two of these - one for each bathroom - and I'm sure they will come in handy for more than just the tub.

At some point, I'll likely upgrade the shower kits to something a bit more sturdy, attractive, and designed for normal heights, but these solutions are working for me right now. That's a good thing since summer in New Orleans often calls for multiple showers a day. Now that I know what works, I'll start getting the guest bathroom ready for use by someone other than just Chicory. Maybe at some point, I'll actually soak in one of these bathtubs, but so far, the only bath that has happened has been that of an angry cat. That's a story for another time...

Have tips or resources for clawfoot tubs? Let me know!

Comments

Popular Posts